Thursday 12 September 2013

Of cockroaches and spiders

So I don't like these insects, specifically. 

Yesterday, I had to encounter both. Not the kind of day you want to have, trust me on this! During the day at work, there was a cockroach running about and finally hiding somewhere. Then at night - at home - a huge ass spider decided to invade my peace of mind. The mere thought of it makes my heart beat a few beats faster! 

I get really scared by these two types of insects. It's embarrassing sometimes when you are out and there's a cockroach running about and you are trying very hard not to scream and panic. It's more embarrassing when you're at work. Creating a scene about one’s fears to your colleagues is probably not the best way to get about doing things. However, it is refreshing to know that there are other colleagues who don't like these insects themselves. 

I have doing a bit of reading on these two types of fears and found that the 'fear of cockroaches' has recently been named Katsaridaphobia. Quite a mouthful I'd say. We know the fear of spiders is called arachnophobia. I guess when I read through the definitions of the phobias, I may not be phobic as such of the two, but I sure know I have a deep fear of the two types. For instance, I wouldn't not go on a trip just because there's a chance I'd come across a spider or cockroach. The traveler in me doesn't work like that. 

Don't know where I am going with this, but just wanted to share the thoughts. :) 

Here's hoping I don't encounter any cockroaches or spiders. Just thinking about those big nasty things creeps me out. I suppose I am more paranoid about how spider will fall on me or I'd reach to switch a light on and find a spider on the switch. I guess the spider's thing long legs creep me out the most. *shudder* 

No comments: