Friday 6 September 2013

RIP Ibrahim Mothana

 
I sit shocked. Unable to move, breathe or even understand, my friend Ibrahim Mothana's sudden death. I feel I have become a stone from within. I have definitely gone a few degrees colder, as I feel the room around me is like an ice land. 

 
I try not to panic. I think I am holding my breath in an attempt to not have a breakdown at work. :(
 
Things about this death-sudden at that- are unclear. He was only 24 years old. When I initially saw the news, I refused to believe it. Then as more friends spoke about it, I decided to find more details for myself. I Googled. I found to my horror that I was in denial for the past few hours, trying to block the horrifying thought that 'Ibu' as we fondly called him, has indeed left us for good. I came across a post by Afrah Nasser which mirrored what I am feeling right now. 

 
I honestly don't know what to believe. I don't. I am trying my head around how he died. The fact that he was very outspoken about the US involvement in Yemen is not consoling. He was vehemently against the US' use of drones in his country, Yemen. As an eloquent writer he would often express himself on why the use of drones was wrong.  Or that drones only served to promote terrorism
 
This is not how I remember Ibu. I met him three years back on a two month long youth programme called Ship for World Youth programme. We were on its 22nd edition, 22nd Ship for World Youth programme [SWY22]. I remember Ibu expressing himself on various topics, varying from the environment to children to education. He constantly drew examples from him mother country, Yemen. I remember him as a British Council Global Changemaker. I remember him telling me about the work he was doing with educating children in his country, on building libraries for them. 
 
I met him again, in New Delhi, India when he was there for another youth conference. I happened to be in the city on a training programme. I feel so relieved now that I went to meet him then, even though I was unfamiliar with the area. I guess you realise that every memory counts! 
 
Three years. It seems a short period to have known someone. Someone so great. He was so young and there was so much more for Ibu to do for Yemen and the world. He spoke for the voiceless. He dared -at a young age- to speak on things that others didn't. 
 
 
I want to end on a saying Ibu firmly believed in and practiced. 
Albert Pike: ‘What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal’.
 
I am sure, Ibrahim's family, friends and everyone who has crossed paths with him, will remember him in such great light, as a person who has done things for others. This memory will surely help us keep Ibrahim Mothana, immortal. 


 

2 comments:

Sachitra Mahendra said...

It is shocking to hear the news. The second death, if I remember right, among the SWYers.

Robesof a Muse said...

Shocking news indeed! It's the 2nd death among SWY22 after Chika's.