Thursday 12 September 2013

Selfish writing

Just read a post on Jillinthebox90's blog about appreciating the little things in writing and enjoying the goodness it brings from it. She also talks about the feeling of 'right' the writing brings. So I am going to take it a step further, and talk about writing for oneself. 

Back in the day, I would be really affected by what others have to say about what I write. I would find the comments, the criticism personal. I suppose it's fine to call myself a writer. I mean I have been engaging in it since -like- when I was 8 years or so. 

Anyway, there was a point in my writing career that I realised that I am not writing to please anyone. I am writing to please myself. The writing was to either express my happiness, sadness, grief or -or some other feeling- or to cope with a situation. 

Once I came to this realisation, it didn't matter what other people had to say about what I wrote. Let's be honest here, I realised, my writing was selfishly to please myself. :) If by an odd chance someone else likes it, it's a win! I don't lose out on writing for myself, and if another person likes it, it's a bonus feeling. :) 

Compliments on one's writing is a whole different mind game. Say for instant, you feel good about something you've written AND get like a lot of good comments on it, I suppose this is when I can safely say I am on cloud number nine, with a huge grin on my face! 

So next time, don't take it too hard if I don't react to your negative criticism on my writing, because now you know I write for myself! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haw lookie the daughter link the Mommy :P

On a completely different tone, I couldn't agree more. While I do secretly look out for the nice things people say about my writing, I am more keen on the feedback they could give to improve it. I mean to me, this means that:

a) They took the time to read it
b) They obviously see a perspective that we failed to see and recommended based on it
c) It's a learning process for me, as a writer!

Happy Writing!
<3

Robesof a Muse said...

I agree with everything you said above. But writing at one level will always remain a selfish act. I am most open for constructive criticism though! :)