Thursday 25 July 2013

Overwhelmed

I was going through my emails a while back and I came across a random mail about sports scholarships. I was about to move on as there's nothing I could I do with a sports scholarship, I suddenly remembered one of Sri Lanka's foremost athlete's. Having had the opportunity to briefly work closely with the country's sportsmen and women I quickly searched to see whether I had his email address. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it. Luckily I had his number with me, so dialed him and explained that I needed his email to send him an email about a sports scholarship.

He was very surprised that I still had his contact number and more so that I would ring him up to give him details about a scholarship! During this conversation I ask him how he is and how his training is going. He said that everything's going well.

He then goes on to tell me something I had completely forgotten about. Without a pause he says 'thanks to you miss. My house is near completion.' For a moment, I forgot what he was talking about. He says he only has to complete the roof and then they can settle in. I was like 'wow! That's awesome! I am so happy for you!' Thereafter he proceeds to thank me for helping him at the initial stage, in getting all the necessary documents in order. I was extremely touched that he was thanking me for an effort so small and that remembered-when I clearly couldn't. Being the incompetent person I am in accepting compliments, I merely brushed him off saying it was nothing.

After hanging up, I had tears in my eyes. I was overwhelmed. I realised I had done something-something good-to get this person and his family a permanent roof over their heads. It was all the more emotional because he remembered.

I am simply speechless and unable to express myself beyond this narration of the incident.

No comments: