Monday 16 November 2015

To complement, not complete

Have we established the fact that I am a girl? Well, if not, I am. Now that's off the way, I have heard many people, irrespective of their gender say they found the perfect partner, their better half. The one person who completes them. 

Now I don't know about the few of those who say that, but I for one (and some others I know for that matter) have a problem with this term 'better half'. Do they imply by saying their significant other is better than them, that the one saying so, is in some way, worse? Or that they are the lesser being of the two? When put that way, wouldn't you have a problem with those words?

I don't believe you should get into a relationship to find a better or worse person in anyone. You should accept the significant other as they are. A human being. And this human being shouldn't have to complete you either. And with that, I come to my other point. 

Why do people say their significant other 'completes' them? Does this mean they are not whole? Or that they lack a part of them? If that were the case, is it then wise to embark on a relationship? I mean if you're is incomplete, then shouldn't you be investing more into who you are and figuring out what you want, rather than in a relationship, trying to understand and make the relationship work? 

I do understand that nothing is perfect. But I also know that expecting someone else to be your happiness, to generate it and be the source of it can be detrimental. What if that source goes away - and I sincerely hope it doesn't happen to anyone, but what if? Where does that leave you? At rock bottom for sure. For you don't know what makes you happy alone as you have invested and are dependent on your happiness from a single source, a person, your significant other. 

So, I say, go figure yourself out first. Understand what makes you tick and what makes you happy. Learn to be at peace with yourself. Enjoy some solitary time. It's by being alone and truly alone that you learn to look within and know yourself. Trust me, this journey is as important as any other. For in knowing who you are, you learn to understand what you want in another. A partner. A significant other. 

When you know yourself, you know your happiness is depended on you, your own actions and not anyone else's. You learn to be a complete person, irrespective of having someone significant in your life or not. You are at peace. 

Photo credit: lisacrunick.com
With this peace comes understanding. This understanding leads you to knowing what to look for in your partner. You understand that the 'other' won't complete you, as you are a complete human being on your own. You then understand that the 'other' will only complement and add beauty to your life. That they too are complete on their own and thus will only inspire you towards greatness. And this isn't fluff or a fairy tale. It's all true and you will know when you find that person who complements you and makes you strive to achieve your completion all on your own. 

Ladies and gentlemen (because I am hoping I have a gender balanced readership) don't let the source of your happiness be an external
person. Don't rely on another to make you happy. Let happiness come from within you, and trust me, you won't regret it. 

So all the best and let that happiness shine from within. Peace. 

No comments: