Monday 16 November 2015

Assumptions vs Curiosity

I have recently been told that I am too curious, that I question things too much and that I assume things. I don't know what to make of these. So I have reflected on this thought and I have come to realise that I have always been interested in the 'Why's. Why some thing happens the way it does, why people behave the way they do, why... why... why....?

I, of course decided to take this in a positive light. It appears people have mistaken my curiosity towards life to assumptions. My curiosity generally doesn't mean any harm to anyone as I merely want to know whether some thing I have assumed is either prove it right or wrong. It's a personal thing. 

http://www.s-curiosity.com/
This curiosity is innate to me. It's probably my curiosity towards life that makes me want to know and understand how and why things happen. My curiosity is varied. For example it can be towards wanting to know why my dog behaves a certain way in wanting to know why a certain concept is what it is to understanding the communication styles between people. 

And this curiosity is most likely why I am doing what I am doing right now. I am engaged in research and I am really happy doing so, as I get to unearth the 'why's. And in research, the 'why' is generally referred to as the hypothesis. :) As an academic and a researcher, our main purpose is to find a reasons to embark on research. A gap that needs to be filled. 

So I'd say this curiosity of mine is working fine for me in my career as I get to question away, until such time I prove something right or wrong. And that's what research is all about! You prove a theory, a thought, a concept etc true or false. 

Oh! I may have a reason and a valid job to be curious or question things, but do remember, a person's background and previous experience too plays a major part in these things. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I too have a lot of why questions... it seems to surprise some people... my response to them is why arent you wondering why too... I find them strange...