Sunday 28 June 2009

Love towards animals?

Why do people hurt animals? Be cruel to them? This is something which I have been thinking about for a long time. I don't get it. Don't they understand it hurts the animals as much as us humans?

Recently I came a across a link, which shows minks - if I'm not mistaken - that are skinned alive for their skin! The poor animals were treated with utmost cruelty. Beaten in multiple places, like the head and spine. Mind you this is all happens while the animal is very much a live.

Frankly, I can't put up eating meat after I have seen how the animals are killed for their meat. I suppose this is one of the reasons - maybe unconsciously - I became a vegetarian. I mean if I talk about animal cruelty and happily go and munch cooked animal flesh - not so politely speaking - I think some might call me a hypocrite. The torture the animal is put through, before being killed is unbearable. I don't understand how anyone can do that. I tend to question if they are really humans.

Also, I don't see how people can take a dog or cat in to their homes very lovingly and then end up treating it very cruelly. Why do they even bother? What is the point? Do they do it on purpose? Or is it simply neglect and not being bothered? Don't these people realise that the animals need as much attention as we do? That they eat and sleep like us. They want to be shackle free, to run around and play. They too have feelings.

I think we should, as humans, if not at least as caring beings, think about our treatment towards animals. Must we really treat them like that? I am wondering who the real animals are! Think about it!

Take a look the following links. Beware, some of them are not for weak hearts.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2394875026492815226

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOsBJkHgIU

http://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/animal_cruelty.php

2 comments:

Umayanga Suran Jayathilaka said...

The same questions have occurred to me many times. I believe this cruelty stems from the thinking that animals are incapable of feeling or emotion or thought and that they have no needs like humans. All one needs to do is put oneself in an animal's position and imagine what it might be going through.

Robesof a Muse said...

I am glad that you agree with me. It's hard to find people who do think in other people's shoes, now a days, let alone animals :(