Wednesday 18 March 2020

Covid-19 and the Sri Lankan Ego

Oh dear me! I feel like my head would explode if I don't write and purge all these thoughts in my head! So many things are happening and I am feeling the feels. Let's start with the noval Coronavirus (Covid-19) - let's be honest, we all have something to say about it. But I want to tell you my thoughts on what's happening in Sri Lanka. 

I'm very sad to see the behaviour of some of our citizens, going on trips and attending mass gatherings when the government has declared public holidays, in order to contain the spread of Covid-19. I don't think these people understand that going on pilgrimages and travelling together etc is exactly what the government is trying to prevent - mass gatherings. I wonder whether these people are actually unconcerned for their well-being and also making me reconsider both their sanity and intellectual capacity. Basically, are our people this stupid?!

Some are blaming the government for having not taken adequate action to contain the virus. I agree, more stringent measures could have been taken at the outset. But that doesn't mean, blaming the government and the authorities is going to help. Don't you think it is also equally important to see how each of us, as individuals can help assist the situation? Are we not concerned as to how either we or our immediate family and friends could be kept safe? Don't we want them to be safe? Does this thought not occur to the vast majority? 

I'm appaulled by the selfishness and lack of empathy in most people. They think only others have to protect themselves and it's the government's responsiblity to protect everyone. Are they really selfish to think they can live their priviledged lives and expect the government to clean-up after they have soiled themselves - like, really? I wonder if this is an indication of things to come and how our generation will proceed to the future. If so, I wish Covid-19 would honestly take away all these selfish and egoistic people, so we can live a better life on this planet. I mean, after all, the Planet is purging (more on this in another post). 

Toodles.

                  - Robes of a Muse

No comments: