Sunday 21 June 2015

Commitment or the lack thereof

This is generally not the type of thing I write about, but I thought of penning a few words seeing the increasing trend and having to come across many individuals who practice this lifestyle. And I write at the risk of coming across as old-fashioned or worse yet, judgmental. 

So I am talking of people not liking the age-old concept of commitment in relationships. I have come across quite a large number of people who feel they are not ready to commit and feel they need to explore all opportunities available in terms of not being exclusive to a single partner. 

And no, this is not all merely in my head, and was voiced by some professional counsellors, with whom I have been interacting with for work related things. According to them, people want to opt out of their relationships, including marriage, the moment they encounter hardships. They don't want to face the challenges and instead just walk out. I have seen this happening increasingly as well. And it makes me wonder about what our parents and schools taught us about being committed to something we love, both animate and inanimate. 

I understand it is important to have your options open and experience as much as you can in life before settling down. Perhaps this will ease any difficulties in a relationship, in knowing what you want from one. But what I don't understand is why the present generation doesn't want to invest their time in a single relationship. Instead they engage in multiple casual relationships, hookups, flings, call it what you may, but it's all the same, anyway. 

What I am trying to understand with all this is the, WHY. Why have the youth become like this? And the WHAT. What made them behave this way. So, please do enlighten me as to why this happens and what causes this. Because the reasons I have come across thus far aren't sufficient to explain this behaviour. 

No comments: