Sunday 12 October 2014

Taksim Square, a place for freedom

Taksim Square during the late afternoon
The blue skies, cool breeze and open spaces caught my eyes as I walked around Istanbul. With over twelve hours of day light during the summer and early autumn, Turks have a lot of time for leisure and the outdoors during this time. 

Narrow, cobbled streets greeted me in the older parts of the city, in Taksim. Open coffee shops and restaurants lined these streets on every available space. People, mostly men, sat on tiny stools drinking cups of either Turkish coffee or tea, chatting with their friends and colleagues or playing board games whilst catching up whatever sun they can, before the harsh Turkish winters begin.  



Cobbled streets in Taksim
Time spent freely, leisurely, without a care in the world was one thing I was envious of the Turks. I did not expect to see so many open spaces and luscious parks were people could idle away time. As you would imaging, this was the first thing I got about doing while there. 

The observer in me was in full swing, sponging in every minute detail that met the eye. The behaviour of the people, leaves blowing in the wind, children playing, the way the food was prepared in various restaurants and road-side shops, nothing missed the eye. I could be wrong, but I observed that unlike in Sri Lanka, many children in Istanbul had time to enjoy their childhood, playing in the parks till the sun set. 

I too sat for a couple of hours near a fountain in a park, taking in everything Turkish. It was only then that I realised I really needed to kick back and relax, after clocking in long hours for many weeks at a stretch at work. 

The Monument of the Republic in Taksim Square
Old trams running in the middle of Taksim 

Being the tourist hotspot it is, Taksim Square is swamped by many nationalities. The Monument of the Republic, the trams and the Square itself are delightful attractions. The Galata Tower, over looking the bay is an ideal location to have an birds-eye view of the Bosphorus River and also get a glimpse of the Asian side of Istanbul. 

The view from the Galata Tower towards the Asian side of Istanbul


The view from the Galata Tower towards the European side of Istanbul 

I wound up my day enjoying the sunset at the Taksim Square and munching on light dinner of fruits and sandwiches. Satisfied with my first day in Istanbul, I decided to call it a day as I had been travelling from quite early in the morning. A good night's sleep was in order for me. 



Setting sun at the Taksim Square




No comments: